Prof. Dr.-Ing. Manfred Fischedick is member of the Wuppertal Institute's management as Authorised Representative since 2010 and was appointed Vice President of the Wuppertal Institute in 2006. Until 2010 he was the director of the Research Group “Future Energy and Mobility Structures” (including more than 50 scientists from different disciplines incl. PhD students). From February 2008 to February 2010, he was the Acting Scientific Head of the Wuppertal Institute. In November 2008 he furthermore was appointed Professor at the Schumpeter School of Business and Economics at the University of Wuppertal.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Manfred Fischedick studied chemical technology with the main focus on energy and environmental technologies at the University of Dortmund. He earned a PhD at the University of Stuttgart (integration of renewable energies into the existing power plant system).
Manfred Fischedick has 20 years of experience in energy system analysis. He is adviser to the EU and the German government as well as the Bundesland North Rhine-Westphalia and companies of various sectors. He is author of various publications and peer reviewed articles. Manfred Fischedick was coordinating lead author of the IPCC 5th Assessment Report, member of several scientific boards and, amongst other things, he gives lectures in the field of energy and environmental science at the Universities of Wuppertal and Kassel.
The Wuppertal Institute and Prof. Dr.-Ing. Fischedick follow a transformative scientific approach. Research is not only considered to gain a better understanding of the system behaviour (including socio-economic and socio-technical interactions), but to also proactively support the implementation of transformation processes.
(Selected) Working fields
His main working fields are:
- Energy systems and energy scenario analysis
- Greenhouse gas mitigation strategies and multi-criteria evaluation
- Renewable energies and innovative energy technologies (system integration aspects)
- National and international energy and climate policy
- Market development of new technologies
- Infrastructure analysis
- Research and technology policy
- Technology assessment and forecasting
- Green entrepreneurship
- Sustainable urban infrastructures
From 1993 to 2017 he coordinated more than 75 national and international studies commissioned by the EU, the German government, several NRW ministries as well as by energy utilities and several industrial companies. In the context of renewable energies, he intensively studied system integration aspects and market penetration options. Within the last years, more and more innovation processes and aspects with regard to the multi-criteria assessment of new energy technologies have become a focus of his scientific research. This includes the development of specific methods like technology forecasting and assessment tools being able to address future R&D needs just as much as future business (entrepreneurial) opportunities. A typical industry related business field is the investigation of clean technology opportunities and the analysis of sector specific transition pathways.
- Member of the “Seoul International Scientific Advisory Council (SIEAC)”
- Member of the “International Energy Advisory Council (IEAC)”
- Chair of the Virtual Scientific Institute “Non-Technical Aspects of the Energiewende in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council “Innovation City Ruhr”
- Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council “European Green Capital Essen”
- Speaker of the Directory Board Research Association Renewable Energy (FVEE)
- Member of Global Labor Organisation (GLO)
- Member of the Expert Panel “European Green Capital” (on behalf of the European Union)
- Member of the ACATECH-BMBF-Initative “Energy System of the Future” (on behalf of the German Ministry for Education and Research)
- Member of the Coordination Committee “Climate Plan in North Rhine-Westphalia”
- Member of the Science and Technology Advisory Board Desertec University Network
- Member of the Advisory Board Urban Planning of the City of Munich
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Competence Network “Kraftwerkstechnik” (Power Plant Technology) of the Government of the Land North Rhine-Westphalia
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board EON-RWTH Aachen Research Center
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board Energiewirtschaftliches Institut (EWI) University Cologne
- Member of the Scientific Board “Renewable Energy“ (peer reviewed Journal)
- Member of the “Energy Academy” of the “Handelsblatt”-Journal
Selected former activities
- Coordinating Lead Author of the IPCC 5th Assessment Report (2011-2014)
- Chair of the Competition “Innovation City Ruhr”
- Coordinating Lead Author of the IPCC Special Report Renewable Energies (responsible for Mitigation potential and costs) (2009-2011)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the German Biomass Centrum (co-chair 2007-2011)
- Member of the Executive Board Clean Tech NRW (co-chair)
- International Steering Committee “World Renewable Energy Congress 2008“
- Member of the Enquête Commission "The Effects of Long-Term Increasing Prices for Oil and Gas on Economy and Consumers in North Rhine-Westphalia", installed by the State Parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia (2006-2009)
- Scientific Committee “International German Hydrogen Conference“ in 2006 and 2008
- Advisory Board of the Immission Panel of the German Bundesland Brandenburg (2005-2008)
- Delegation of the Federal Government “Renewables 2004“
- Roster of Experts of the STAP/Global Environmental Facility
Academic work (university lecturer)
- University of Wuppertal, Schumpeter School of Business and Economics “Dynamic development of markets“ (since winter term 2007/08)
- University of Koblenz-Landau “European Energy Policy“ (since summer term 2005)
- University of Kassel, Master programme Renewable Energies "Energy Economy“ (winter term 2006/07)
- University of Hagen, Master programme INFERNUM “System analysis” (winter term 2004)
- University of Applied Sciences Wiesbaden “Energie und Umwelt” (Energy and Environment) in Environmental Studies from the winter term 1997/98 until 2001/02
- Witten/Herdecke University “Ökologisches Wirtschaften” (Ecological Management) in the summer and winter term 1996
Fischedick, M., Görner, K., Thomeczek, M. (Hrsg.): CO2: Abtrennung, Speicherung, Nutzung, Springer Verlag, Wiesbaden, 2015.
Frey, A., Jäger, T., Messner, D., Fischedick, M., Hartmann-Wendels, T., Globalisierungsgestaltung und internationale Abkommen, Springer Verlag, Wiesbaden, 2014.
Fischedick, M., Hennicke, P.: Erneuerbare Energien, Beck Verlag, München, 2007.
Krewitt, W., Pehnt, M. Fischedick, M., Temming, H. (Hrsg.): Brennstoffzellen in der Kraft-Wärme- Kopplung – Ökobilanzen, Szenarien, Marktpotenziale. Erich Schmidt Verlag, Berlin, 2004.
Fischedick, M., Nitsch, J., Langniß, O.: Nach dem Ausstieg: Zukunftskurs Erneuerbare Energien, Hirzel Verlag, Stuttgart, 2000.
Fischedick, M.: Erneuerbare Energien und Blockheizkraftwerke im Kraftwerksverbund - Technische Effekte, Kosten, Emissionen, Dissertation, Universität Stuttgart, Stuttgart, 1996.
Fischedick, M.; Kaltschmitt, M.: Wind- und Solarstrom im Kraftwerksverbund - Möglichkeiten und Grenzen, C. F. Müller Verlag, Karlsruhe, 1995.
Peer reviewed journal articles
More than 100 hundred articles (cf. https://epub.wupperinst.org/solrsearch/index/search/start/0/rows/10/sort... searchtype/advanced/author/%22Fischedick%2C+Manfred%22/authormodifier/contains_all)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Manfred Fischedick Vice President
Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy Döppersberg 19
42103 Wuppertal Germany
+49-202-2492-121 (secretary -221)