On 8th November 2017, a New Visa Regime was established for the Republic of Rwanda. It is as follows:
1. Reciprocity- Rwanda will grant visa free of charge with 90 days validity to the following countries on reciprocal basis: Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, Ghana, Guinea, Indonesia, Haiti, Senegal, Seychelles and Sao Tome and Principe. This is in addition to Democratic Republic of Congo, East African Community Partner States, Mauritius, Philippines and Singapore.
2. Visa waiver for diplomatic and service passports- The Government of Rwanda has entered into Visa Waiver Agreement for holders of Diplomatic and Service Passports with Djibouti, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, India, Israel, Morocco and Turkey.
3. 30 days visa upon arrival-Citizens of all countries to get visa upon arrival without prior application, starting 01 January 2018.
4. COMESA Member States to get 90 days visa upon arrival-Citizens of COMESA member states to get 90 days visa on arrival (on payment of the prescribed fee) as provided by Article 4 of the COMESA Protocol on Free Movement of Persons, Labour, Services, Right of Establishment and Residence. Rwanda ratified the protocol on 13th July 2016.
5. Rwandans living abroad with dual nationality allowed to use national IDs on entry-Waive visa free to Rwandans travelling on foreign passports in possession of a Rwandan Identity Card for countries that permit dual nationality only.
6. Foreign residents to use their Resident ID cards for entry- returning residents holding valid residence permits with corresponding resident cards will be allowed to use them on entry, including using electronic gates (Automated Passenger Clearance System) at Kigali International Airport.